Monday, August 10, 2015

Be Good to People

While I was at EFY, we had scripture study daily. One day I decided to study how I could become more Christlike and I felt inspired to read when Christ came to the Americas and then pick an attribute that he showed there and make it a goal to develop that more in my life.

As I was reading I came upon this scripture:

'Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me." (3 Nephi 9:14)

I love it.

Christ accepts all. He loves all. And he blesses all that come to him.

And my answer came.

I can do a better job of talking to more people and smiling. Being a little less judgmental and getting to know more people. Letting everyone be my friend and trying to see them as a child of God.

I don't think I'm a terribly mean person. But I need to reach out more and be a little more kind instead of not mean. I realize I judge "a book by it's cover" way too often.

And while I can't ever bless anyone in the capacity that the Savior did, I can try to make their day a little better because they saw or talked to me. Weather I can do a huge act of service for them or just simply give them a smile then it's worth it because hopefully they feel a little happier as they walk away.

Am I perfect at this? Absolutely not! But I know that as I (& you) but forth our best efforts and pray for added love and kindness, then we can be blessed with patience and love beyond our own capacity.

I'm loving this quote by Taylor Swift:
Our goal in life is to become more like the Savior. And He most certainly left behind a legacy of kindness. He was the definition of charity and unchanging perfect love.

One more quote that I love...

"Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known" (Joseph B Wirthlin)
As summer closes and school starts up (or really whenever you read this), I challenge you to reach out a little more. Smile a little more. Say hi a little more. Help others a little more. Be a friend a little more.

And the results will be miraculous. You will be happier, your confidence will grow, your love for the Savior will grow, you will be more worthy to have the divine guidance, peace, and love the spirit can bring.

How will you be a little kinder today? What kind of legacy will you leave behind?

-Shelby

ps. read about why I think it's cool to be kind here
pps. Wanting ideas on how to start being a little kinder? Halee is doing a super cool challenge over on her instagram! Each day for a week she is posting a kindness challenge. I love this idea- it's such a great reminder each day to reach out to others and become more like the Savior!
ppps. I just signed up for seminary and I am pumped! It makes me dread that thing called school that's coming up a little less.......:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Pretty please with a cherry on top :)